Read before The International Hahnemannian Association, July, 1923, Atlantic City, N.J.

Sarat Chandra Ghose, M.D.


Editor of the “Indian Homoeopathic Reports” and President of the Medical Institute and Nabin Ch. Mitter Outdoor Homoeopathic Charitable Dispensary of Jessore, Bengal.

Pneumonia is a very dangerous malady and if the progress of this disease be not arrested at an early stage, it carries its victims to the grave.

There is now a strong belief which prevails among the people of our country that pneumonia does not yield to the power of any remedy; but this belief is based upon such an erroneous foundation that those who have tried our homoeopathic remedies, can raise their powerful voices against. The allopathic mode of treatment of this disease is a total failure in comparison with our treatment,which has won its most glorious triumphs and greatest laurels in the field of action.

A melancholy-wise shaking of the head on the part of an allopath does not infuse and ray f hope into the minds of his patients and this is all that a patient suffering from an attack of pneumonia can expect from him. At the present time, in spite of valuable researches made especially in Germany (anti- pneumococcic serum of Romer., we are not familiar with any indisputably certain antitoxin for pneumonia., Nothing has yet seen the light of day which will check a pneumococcic congestion; but my experience has convinced me that pneumonia is as amenable to homoeopathic treatment as is any other disease.

It is here that homoeopathy shines with such brilliant lustre beside the physic of the dominant school. By the strength of its powerful and yet innocuous drugs it can bring about cures acknowledged to be magical. Up to Hahnemanns time and for many years afterwards, the treatment of all inflammatory maladies consisted in blood-letting and antiphlogistic remedies. The whole medical fraternity was satisfied with the results which followed this treatment, but it was Hahnemann, our immortal master, who had the moral courage to stand up in opposition and to proclaim in his own words “that experience teaches us that acute diseases left to their own vital powers alone, without the interference of allopathy, do, on the average, recover more safely and speedily than when treated in accordance with the old plan”.

Pneumonia is one of the most fatal of all acute diseases. With this predominant thought in mind early and conclusive diagnosis must be regarded as a strong factor in the management of this disease and to this end the importance of an exhaustive study and careful analysis of early symptoms should under no circumstances be neglected. Fortunately this serious malady yields very beautifully to our remedies and the disciples of Hahnemann have reason for genuine pleasure and congratulations when treating pneumonia. If we have an opportunity of treating these patients from the very commencement of the attack, we are confident of complete success and sanguine of not losing a single case.

I have had occasion to treat successfully many severe and typical cases of pneumonia with appropriate homoeopathic remedies; but in the year 1920 I treated nine cases of pneumonia characterized by many obstinate, hydra-headed symptoms, and all of them yielded to the curative influence of Tuberculinum. The results bordered on the marvelous, if not miraculous ! Of course, when I used to treat pneumonia cases with our common remedies according to the symptoms present, the patients were, no doubt, cured; but in some cases I had to wait some time before the final recovery was effected; whereas the effect of the Tuberculinum was instantaneous in the nine pneumonic cases alluded to above.

As I am a member of a profession whose sacred duty it is to avail itself of every possible means for the cure of the sick, the amelioration or mitigation of suffering, and the prolongation of life, I think it to be a paramount duty on my part to lay my humble experiences before our medical fraternity. I attach much importance to clinical verifications; for if we wish to disseminate the principles of homoeopathy, and if homoeopathy, and if homoeopathy is to win the confidence of the people, it must do so by the strength of its clinical achievements and the more extensively they are diffused, the better it will be for our cause.

My personal experience and success in these cases of pneumonia with Tuberculinum have inspired me with confidence to make my observations known to the members of the International Hahnemannian Association, of which I am an honorary member. I did not try to concern myself with the modus operandi of Tuberculinum in nipping pneumonia in the bud, but I do know as well as truth can be understood, that under the influence of its curative action pneumonic manifestations are removed in no time. I hope and trust that these cases will prove as convincing to honest investigators.

All the following nine cases had the typical symptoms of pneumonia. The invasion in these cases was ushered in by the appearance of an agonizing chill and in some cases thee were vomiting and convulsions; the cough was dry, painful and incessant, associated with the viscid, rust-colored and very tenacious expectoration, there were lancinating, stabbing, thoracic pains, percussion showed isolated points of consolidation, vocal fremitus being increased over these areas; auscultation revealed fine mucous rales over the affected areas,heard during inspiration and expiration and of a metallic character, indicating pulmonary consolidation; the pulse was rapid,full and bounding; there was considerable pain in the chest; extreme respiratory difficult existed; the fever was very high; the face was flushed and depicted extreme anxiety; vocal resonance was increased and herpetic eruptions about the lops were present; headache was very distressing and there was mental aberration.

The foregoing symptoms will conclusively prove that these were nothing but genuine pneumonia cases. It is particularly to be noted here, that these patients had no tuberculous element present in their systems and they did not inherit any tubercular diathesis from their parents of grandparents.

I shall now proceed to to dwell upon these cases and present them seriatim.

Case No.I

A daughter, aged about three years, of Rai J. N. Chowdhuri, Zamindar of Nakipur, was suddenly attacked with high fever on March 10, 1920. The child had a violent chill associated with symptoms of cold and began to cough every now and then with crying; there was extreme difficulty in breathing; the pulse was quick and there was circumscribed redness of the cheeks; the tongue was dry and thickly coated with a white fur, and the temperature was found to be 104.6.

The child was placed under the treatment of several eminent homoeopaths of Calcutta and they treated the patient for seven days. There was no perceptible improvement, and so I was sent for in great haste. I saw the child on March 17, 1920. The following symptoms were noted by me: MARCH 17, 1920, 11 A.M.

Temperature 105.4; the cough was loose, chest full of mucus with fine rattling rales; the patient was so exhausted that she could not raise the accumulated secretion, which threatened to bring on suffocation; there was great thirst for cold water and fan-like motion of the alae nasi; the abdomen was distended; extreme difficulty in respiration; there were pneumonic patches over both lungs; the stools were watery, offensive and brownish; the pulse was 145 and respiration 46 per minute.

I left one dose of Tuberculinum 200 with the father and instructed him to administer it to the child when the temperature was declining.

8 P.M.-The temperature was found to be 103.4 and the powder left by me was given.

11 P.M.-The body of the child had been dry and harsh, and there had been no perspiration observed within eight days; but now the girl began to perspire copiously. MARCH 18, 1920. 10 A.M.

The usual morning temperature of the child was generally found to be 103 or 103.6. But to our great astonishment the temperature of my patient was found to be 98.6 this morning. After my arrival I found the child in a calm sleep, without any visible manifestations of suffering. I never thought for a single moment that one doses of tuberculinum would be able to work such a wonder in so short a time.

There was a slight rise of temperature in the afternoon at 4 P.M., but the temperature became normal again at 9 P.M.

No further doses of Tuberculinum were needed to cure the patient. One dose only was quite sufficient for the purpose of making a permanent cure.

Case No. II.

Master Patel Chowdhuri, nephew of Baby K.M. Chowdhuri, B.L. of Khulna, Bengal, had an attack of high fever on the 10th of April, 1920. On the day following he began to cough incessantly, with pains in both sides of his chest.

The boy was placed under the treatment of the Civil Surgeon of the district. The Civil Surgeon treated the patient for eighteen days, but unfortunately no medicine did him any good. On the contrary, he was seen to be growing worse each day.

At last an urgent telegraphic message was sent to me to go to Khulna,

I began to treat the boy from the 28th of April, 1920.

On my arrival at Khulna I noticed the following symptoms.

APRIL28, 1920, 10 A.M.

The temperature was 105.6 there was pulmonary oppression. with feeling of anxiety; heavy pressure just over sternum; cough very hard and painful; expectoration viscid, tenacious, of a brick dust color; abdominal breathing was present; sweat on coughing; the patient was restless and delirium was present; cough increased the difficulty in breathing; the patient was so very weak that he could hardly speak, the pulse was 145 and respirations 48. Constipation was present.

2 P.M.-The temperature had come down to 1046. I prescribed one dose of Tuberculinum 200 and left three placebo powders, one to be given every three hours.

APRIL 29, 1920, 8 A.M.

The temperature was found to be 100.2.

10 A.M.-The temperature was now 100; breathing was easier than before; there was easy expectoration of mucus; there was no delirium and the patient was quieter than before; the pulse was 102 and respiration was 22.

Placebo was continued.

4 P.M.-The temperature rose up to 101.6 this afternoon, and it began to decline at about 8 P.M. when it was found to be 100.4.

APRIL 30, 1920, 8 A.M.

The temperature was found to be 97.6; there was no difficulty in breathing; the patient did not feel any pain while coughing and was feeling much better in ever respect.

There was no rise of temperature today.

The patient was convalescent within a week. Only China 30 was required for the weakness, later on.

Case No. III.

Mr. C. E. Williams, aged forty-two,had been suffering from double pneumonia for twelve days. As he had no faith in homoeopathy, he placed himself under the treatment of two distinguished allopaths of the locality; but as the condition of the patient grew suddenly and alarmingly worse, his uncle called me in one the third of September, 1920, and asked me to take charge of the case. SEPTEMBER, 1920, 11 A.M.

I noted the following symptoms:

The patient was in a very feeble condition when I examined him; the temperature was 105.8; the pulse was very feeble and quick; tongue was enveloped with a thick brownish coating; the teeth were full of sordes; there were numerous small consolidated patches scattered over both lungs; sonorous and sibilant rales were heard in the chest and fine moist rales over the consolidated patches; there was rapid, labored breathing; the cough was frequent and distressing and produced extreme pain; the expectoration was of a brickdust color; the patient was lying in a comatose condition, with fleeting moments of consciousness; he was passing involuntarily very offensive, brownish, liquid stools.

I gave him a dose of Tuberculinum 200 at once. No more medicine was administered that day. SEPTEMBER 4TH, 11 A.M.

The temperature came down to 104.2 this morning. All the foregoing symptoms were, more or less, present. Another dose of Tuberculinum 200 was given.

4 P.M.-The patient began to perspire copiously after 4 P.M., and the temperature came down to 100.2 at 6 P.M. this afternoon.

8 P.M.-the temperature was now 98.6.

The breathing was almost normal; the tongue was clearer than before; no more stools; the patient was conscious; there was, of course, cough, but he did not feel any pain while coughing; the pulse was not at all quick. In short, he was feeling immensely better in every way.

SEPTEMBER 5TH, 11 a.m.

The temperature remained normal and so was the breathing; there was not the least oppression of breathing and no rales could be heard; he had passed a hard yellowish stool.

No more medicine was given and the patient was well within another six days.

Case No. IV.

Mr. Mazibur Rahman, of Tollygunge, was attacked with influenza of a severe type on the 6th of August, 1920. There was extreme prostration; bone-pains were terrible and hacking, dry cough was present. On the 8th of August he felt some pains in the left side of the chest; the character of the pain was stitching.

On the 9th of August symptoms of pneumonias, associated with pleurisy, manifested themselves. He was under the care of an allopath; but as the fever did not abate, I was called in and undertook the treatment of the patient on the 12th of August, when the following symptoms were noted by me:.

2 P.M. The temperature of the patient was found to be 104.8; the skin was dry and harsh; extreme thirst was present; cough was terrible and incessant; the expectoration was yellowish and viscid; he experienced great pain while coughing; abdominal respiration was present and great oppression of breathing; dull rales were heard over the left side of the chest; face pale, extremities cold, and the pulse was quick and feeble.

I was told that the temperature was declining and so I gave him one dose of Tuberculinum 200 and left three placebo powders, with instructions to give one of them every three hours. AUGUST 12th, 10A.M.

The temperature was now 100.p:” oppression of breathing was less than yesterday; the thirst was more moderate and he felt somewhat better.

Placebo was continued.

AUGUST 14th, 10 A.M.

Yesterday the temperature did not rise higher than 101.4. The morning temperature was 98.6; three was no pain while coughing; abdominal respiration disappeared altogether and there was no difficulty of respiration; the patient was feeling comfortable in every way.

No medicine.

AUGUST 15th, 10 A.M.

No further rise of temperature; passed a normal stool and slept well last night; no rales could be heard over the affected area and he did not cough at all.

No more medicine was given.

The patient was declared to be out of danger on the 18th of August, and boiled rice was now given.

Leave a Comment